Welcome to Beauty Tip Thursday with Louise Amond of Sam McCauley Chemist, Carlow Shopping Centre. Today’s Topic is
PICKING THE PERFECT FOUNDATION FOR YOU!!
Make-up/foundation has been around for Centuries. It can be traced right back to the Egyptian times and it is believed that the ancient Greeks and Romans used white lead or chalk to create a whiter complexion, During the middle ages and the Renaissance pale skin was a sign of privilege which lead to people using white paint to whiten there faces. Thankfully in 1914, Max Factor introduced the pancake makeup, and to our benefit 100’s of other cosmetic companies where born thus providing us with 1000’s of foundations to choose from, which leads to that million dollar question
When we have established what you like and want from your foundation then the search for the perfect one begins!!
Make up is very personal to every individual. It can be seen as a way of expressing your personality. If you take a look at 10 people I bet that each one has their makeup applied completely differently to each-other.
So here are a few factors to consider before choosing your foundation!!
- Determine your skin type, whether it is dry/ mature/ sensitive/ combination/ oily/ acne prone or normal (which means dry/combination )
- Consider the coverage that you want, let it be – sheer, medium or full coverage. Sometimes sheer medium is best for day and full for the night. But like I say, its personal so you choose what you like the best for you.
- Try not to have fake tan on the day that you go to choose a foundation as you will be matching the colour to that colour!
- Select a few colours to choose from as in the different skin tones, yellow tones suit most skins and pink cooler shades suit very pale skins
- Apply 3 strips of each colour along your jaw line between your ear and mouth. The one that disappears is the perfect match for your skin. (For coloured skin you should test it on your check)
- Take a good look in natural light if you can.
- READ WHAT IT SAY’S ON THE BOTTLE…
- If any of the following words are on the bottle than it is most likely for oily skin: oil-free, long lasting, 24hr stay, matt finish, shine free, anti-blemish.
- If any of the following words are on the bottle then most likely it is for dry/mature skin: dewy, hydrating, glowing, comfort, radiance,
Simply reading what it says on the bottle is half the battle of finding the perfect foundation!
So you have the perfect foundation now you have to achieve the perfect flawless look, so take a little look at your skin.
My top tip for flawless foundation is 2 things
- EXFOLIATE, now I know I go on about exfoliating a lot but it is great, it removes all dead skin cells which helps give a smoother application and longer lasting make up application.
- HYDRATION, water based moisture creams is an essential for everyone. It takes the tight feeling out of your face and gives the appearance of plump fresh glowing skin, and lets face it, who doesn’t want that?
I think once you exfoliate and hydrate you skin, you can cover up any traces of what you have been up to. Remember alcohol and late nights dehydrate you!!
Finding the perfect foundation is like getting a second skin. It should match your skin tone and be sure that the texture and colour are perfect for you. When you get foundation right it can give you great confidence and bring a smile to your face.
Don’t be afraid to play around with your foundation, go for maybe a fresh & flirty by day look, and flawless & fun at night!!
Stay tuned for next weeks Beauty Tip Thursday with the TOP Health & Beauty advice from our Sam McCauley Chemist Beauty Expert, Louise Amond.
Read Louise Amond’s Biography HERE & find her in Sam McCauley Chemist, Carlow Shopping Centre.