IT’S BEAUTY TIP THURSDAY!! Today’s Tip………… Eczema!!
Did you know that there is over 50 million people in Europe that suffer from eczema and in Ireland. It is the most common skin condition seen in pharmacies.
SO WHAT IS EZCEMA??
Eczema is a skin condition that can effect all ages, and may accrue anywhere in the body. It can be caused by internal or external influences. There are many different types of eczema/dermatitis that look similar but need different types of treatment. Eczema comes from the Greek word “to boil” and dermatitis means inflammation of the skin.
You can not inherit eczema, you inherit a predisposition to it. If some one in your family have atopic eczema then it may be likely that a new member of the family may have it, and that may have been influenced by the environment that they live in.
The main symptoms are:
- Weeping skin
- Heat sensation/tenderness
- Broken skin
- Small blisters
Over time the damage done to the epidermis can cause it to thicken and become scaly. This may be referred to as lichenification.
10 golden rules for living with eczema for children:
1. Adapt a gentle cleansing routine
2. Dry the skin with a patting movement and not rubbing
3. Avoid face cloths and just use your bare hand as this will be much softer on the skin
4. Apply moisture cream in a circular movement as this gives a massaging and comfortable application
5. Be careful when washing clothes and make sure that your fabric softener does not contain phosphates
6. Try to have clothing that is made from cotton
7. Be aware of the environment around you and the child e.g. Dust, pollen, animals etc.
8. Introduce your child to a varied diet
9.Try to avoid foods with preservatives, colorants and various additives
10. Apply moisture cream daily
WHAT PRODUCTS BEST SUIT??
· La Roche-Posay is a pharmacy brand and recommended worldwide by over 25,000 dermatologists and it contains its very own thermal spa water, for a child or adults suffering from eczema on there body La roche-Posay have introduced 3 products to help calm the skin.
1. WASH- LIPIKAR Syndet, it’s a highly tolerated body wash and it neutralises the drying effect of hard water, Lidikar Cleansing Oil, daily wash that is gentle and nourishing and replenishes lipids
2. SOOTHE – Lipikar Baume Ap, lipid replenishing body balm, anti-irration and anti- scratch, quickly absorbed into the skin
3. CALM – Thermal spring Water- soothing strength of the thermal spa water with proven therapeutic properties, its anti-inflammatory, soothing and anti-irritating
La Roche-Posay contains a wide range for face, body and hair sep. for people that suffer from skin conditions such as eczema. Call in to any off our stores and have a one on one consultation with our La Roche-posay consultant.
· CLINIQUE is 100% fragrance free, allergy tested, dermatologist tested and suitable for all skin types. It contains a wide range of skin care and makeup suitable for the most sensitive and allergy prone skins. All of our clinique consultants in Sam McCauleys are accredited consultants, so call in for a consultation to see what best suits you. They will show you what make-up best suits, and the application that will best suit your skin.
· CLARINS – Skin beauty repair concentrate. This serum in clarins is know as a sos treatment. It soothes sensitive/irritated skin. It is a highly concentrated plant based product to calm and repair the skin leaving the skin nourished and soft. Apply to the skin first before your moisture cream. I would recommend using this product on your face or small area as this comes in a 15ml bottle. This is one treatment that everyone could have in there press as it really is a SOS treatment for almost everything!
Many types of eczema cannot be cured, but they can be controlled with a good knowledge of the skin condition and a good skin care routine is the key to keeping your eczema under control. So call in to see our consultants and they can help you control your eczema and not have it control you!!!
Stay tuned for next weeks Beauty Tip Thursday with the TOP Health & Beauty advice from our Sam McCauley Chemist Beauty Expert, Louise Amond. Next weeks tip…… Psoriasis!
Read Louise Amond’s Biography HERE & find her in Sam McCauley Chemist, Carlow Shopping Centre.