BEAUTY TIP THURSDAY……..YOUR GUIDE TO WELL GROOMED NAILS
- At 11 weeks into pregnancy your nails start to develop
- Finger nails grow faster than toe nails
- Nails on longer fingers grow faster and your dominant hand grows faster
- Massaging your finger tip will stimulate nail growth and so does typing on a key board
- Nails grow faster during pregnancy
- Dry nails can be the result of not drinking enough…….WATER
- Men’s nails grow faster than women’s
- Nails grow faster in warm sunny climate, not looking good for Ireland so taking vitamin D would help!!
- The older you are the slower your nails grow
- Nail biting is a HABIT, THERE IS NO CURE JUST BREAK THE HABIT!!!
A LITTLE BIT OF BIOLOGY – FUNCTION OF THE NAIL:-
Nails are made from a protein called keratin, the nail plate protects the nail bed which lies below & it contains blood vessels and nerve endings and supplies nutrients to the matrix, the matrix is the only living part of the nail, this is where the nail grows from and new cells are formed, the cuticle protects the matrix and the extended nail part protects the finger.
DID YOU KNOW THAT A HEALTHY NAIL BEENS A HEALTHY YOU!!!
There are many medical problems that can be determined by your nails and the changed in the texture and the colour such as thin red-reddish brown lines under the nails or a pale –blue tinted nail can be associated with heart problems. A yellow colour that is lasting on your nails and not after wearing a nail colour for a long time can be the sign of diabetes the colour change is caused by the glucose connecting the collagen protein in the nail.
If you notice any dramatic or strange changes in your nails always consult your pharmacist or GP.
Apart from been functional nails are very fashionable and can say a lot about a person!
You can express your creative side with nail art, there are so many different types of nails from gel nails, stick on or glue false nails, shellac nails and the list can go on. One of the newest trends to hit our salon’s are CIATE nails these are fun fresh and fabulous they are bang on trend with the latest colours and can create charm and elegance, this is one sure way of setting very high standards in the fashion stakes!! Don’t worry you can still have very up to date stylish nails as there are so many different colours on the market ranging from citrice to Lancôme so this is a budget for everyone, and even applying a small amount of colour to your nails can increase your confidence levels, you know what I mean if you have not bothered with looking after your nails you are always afraid to have them on show….
SOME OF MY PERSONAL FAVOURITE PRODUCTS FOR WELL GROOMED NAILS ARE:_
- Sally Hansen cuticle and nail oil- it helps stop dry, brittle nails and smoothes cuticles
- Sally Hansen nail growth miracle 30% longer nails in 5 days
- Sally Hansen Insta-Dri, dries any nail colour in 30 seconds this is a star buy I wouldn’t paint my nails without using this over it and it makes the colour last longer I love it!!!
- Clarins hand and nail treatment cream-it softens hands, minimizes age spots and strengthens nails or Mane and Tail hoofmaker- intensive protein enriched moisturiser
- Lancome verins in love nail varnish range for colour!!!
- Stylfile- nails files designed with a unique curved shape that follows the natural shape of the nail, esp the emergency file it is a mini file to use on the go!!
There are so many products on the market now so let it be a relaxing treatment in one of our beauty spa’s or a diy job at home there are no excuses to why you should be ashamed of your nails, the condition of your nails tells a story about the person……………….think about it!!!!
Shop online at www.sammccauleys.com and see in a Sam McCauley Chemists near you to find all your Nail Care Essentials.
Stay tuned for next weeks Beauty Tip Thursday with the TOP Health & Beauty advice from our Sam McCauley Chemist Beauty Expert, Louise Amond.
Read Louise Amond’s Biography HERE & find her in Sam McCauley Chemist, Carlow Shopping Centre.