Breaking a nail – okay so it’s not necessarily the end of the world, but it is annoying. A broken nail doesn’t look great and putting on a pair of tights with a jagged nail, well lets just say that it’s not the most fun experience.
Like a great new haircut or a really great make up look, healthy, well-manicured nails are an important part of feeling well groomed. So here are our top tips for keeping your nails in tip-top condition!
- It’s been said a million times before, but it’s important to stress that what we put into our bodies will show on the outside, so the first step to achieving healthy nails is to have a well balanced diet and to keep hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
- Stop biting your nails! Breaking a habit is not easy, so you can use a product like Stop ‘N Grow to make your nails taste so yuck that you won’t want to put them anywhere near your mouth.
- Don’t pick nail varnish off!! Not only does it look pretty ick, but it’s also seriously damaging to nails. Instead use nail varnish remover. Use as little as possible and if you can, use an acetone free nail varnish remover like Nailtiques Non-Acetone Remover, which has an acetone-free formula that is extremely gentle to both nails and skin. It also contains aloe and conditioners which help protect the nail from becoming dry.
- Try to moisturize your nails regularly. You’d never wash your face without moisturizing afterwards so you should treat your hands the same way. We love the newly launched handcreams from Roger&Gallet.
- Always wear gloves when doing household chores or gardening. Washing up liquids and cleaning products can contain chemicals that will damage skin and weaken nails and gloves provide a barrier of protection against these nasties.
- Never ever cut your cuticles. Instead gently push the cuticle back with an orange stick wrapped in cotton to create the perfect ridge. It’s also best to do this when your hands are wet as a wet cuticle is more flexible and less likely to lead to tears or other damage.
- When filing your nails make sure to file them from the outside to the centre – never file backwards and forwards as this can weaken or break nails.
- And finally every couple of months you should treat yourself to a Nail Treatment in one of our Beauty Salons to condition, strengthen and repair nails. For the month of March you can get a Nail Treatment with FREE Paraffin wax treatment at Sam McCauley Beauty Salons for just €21.50 (which is a saving of €10)!!